Holy Grail

Holy Grail

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

In Many Ways, The Best of Friends

Oh a new year again. For so many of us a time of reflection, a time of resolution, a time to look forward in hope, and a time to look back in regret perhaps. A time to pat yourself in congratulations and a time to gather with those that you hope will be a part of your life in the new year and for many to come.  It sounds so profound and thoughtful. And it is really. If you are smart you will ponder your life and that of others, particularly if it is in an effort to make them all better. It is in that spirit that I continue.

I was making my New Year's list the other day. You know that list, "for this I am thankful" in the left hand column, "for this I am heartbroken" on the right. All done to remind myself what a great life I have, taking stock of my blessings as I head into 2016. It has been said that the quickest way to happiness is to be thankful for what you have. "I want everything I have" vs "I have everything I want" sort of thing. And would'nt you know it. Guess what made the list on the left hand side? 

My 2014 Fender Custom Shop 60's Heavy Relic Stratocaster, my Dr Z Carmen Ghia 18watt combo, my Special Run Gibson Les Paul Custom Pro, my Fender Road Worn Telecaster, my Bad Cat 15 watt, my TC Electronics MojoMojo Overdrive pedal all mad the "holy cow Im grateful for that" list. Now here is where you say to yourself that Jonathan is quite shallow indeed. Placing such value on inanimate objects like guitars and such. Well, this is a guitar blog so settle down a bit. Of course I am thankful for my friends and family. Well....most of them anyway, but there is a different observation here. While guitars made the "thank you" list often, the never made the "oh crap" list. Not once! Now that is saying a little bit. In some ways, I have been treated better in 2015 by my guitars than by some of the humans in my life. Those little bolted up pieces of wood, and steel, and plastic have actually done pretty well by me. Some of the humans? Well.......
So I have made a resolution for you all and for myself.

Here it stands. Always present and waiting for me to reach out. Never uttering a negative word about me or those that I love. Never indulging in the drama. Never hanging up on me after a barrage of insults and venom. Never dropping out. Always showing up. Helping me discover my limits and riding along when I surpass them but never demanding that I do so. Only requiring minimal care and always giving back more than it asks for and recieves. The lowly and humble guitar. Trusted and cherished friend. Have a look and one of my most loyal family members. The Gretsch 6120. Now before you go start hating on this concept, let me offer one more word and a promise to you all. In 2016, I promise to be to you, much more like my guitars are to me. Think about it for a moment.




2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, brother. Sometimes our best friends come with strings attached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and love you my brother!

    ReplyDelete