Holy Grail

Holy Grail

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

On Occasion, Guitars Are Not All That....What?

Ok, well I said it. Yes, it is true for me. From time to time, I am bored to death of the the onslaught of guitar photos and guitar stories I get on my social media feeds. How many Olympic white strats can one man look at? In fact, sometimes I think there are only a dozen or so photos of Olympic white strats on the planet. We just keep sending them to one another as if we just snapped it in our living room and posted it seconds ago. Listen, I am not saying that strats are boring or that Olympic white is not a great color for a strat. I am simply saying that even the most dedicated guitar heroes among us need to branch out a little.

I have included recently in my feeds other points of interest. Of course surfing, of course dirt bikes, of course skateboarding but also recently some art stuff, and poetry stuff as well. I'm just trying to add some variety to my interactions with this world. In turn, I have found that it adds dimensions to my guitar playing that I have not previously experienced.

The art I have started looking at is of various subject matter. I have found that it gets me thinking about what colors and what mindscapes might enter my thoughts as I am playing a particular guitar passage. The poetry I have started reading gets me thinking about writing good lyrics again (as if I have previously written a good lyric).

You have heard me make reference to the musical life and the guitar lifestyle. Honestly, I had not really put as much thought into those phrases as I should have until recently. So, this really can be a musical life. Tying a variety of interests and experiences into our music really does make it a life. A lifestyle if you will.

I try to keep these posts short and to the point. Most often it is to just share or a thought or encourage you to contemplate something along with me. Join me then in this if you will. What other interests can we incorporate into our musical thoughts? Can we find a way to make our interest in bread making or cake decorating improve our guitar playing? I think there may be ways to do so. If we give enough thought to it, we can combine so many of our interests into a cohesive personality or lifestyle. Look for a way to make it fit. Most of all, lets pick our head up and look at something other than the fretboard. Its a big world. And a beautiful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment